Organizations today understand the importance of rewarding and recognizing the efforts and achievements of their employees in a proper and timely manner. Hence it is not surprising that they consider the time, money and effort spent in setting up such recognition programs truly worthwhile. While the employee recognition ideas followed within each organization may differ significantly, they all share the common objective of enhancing workforce motivation and engagement levels. In this context, the appreciation mails and thank you notes provided to the employees as a part of the overall recognition or reward are of great significance. Hence these mails and notes need to be composed with utmost care and consideration.
Importance of good appreciation emails
It is the responsibility of the employers to ensure that their employees feel happy and satisfied with the current work environment. One effective way of ensuring the same is by appreciating their smallest efforts, achievements, and behaviors that may affect organizational growth. A well-written email of appreciation featuring relevant employee recognition quotes can prove extremely effective in this respect. Such emails ensure the following benefits for employers in terms of employee engagement and motivation:
- They help in building a strong relationship between the employers and their managers and supervisors. A hand-written letter appreciating the service and achievement of the employees can go a long way in fostering a positive bond between the two.
- The emails/letters help in enhancing the sense of belonging and loyalty for the organization among the employees. An employee recognition mail, containing a note of thanks, assures the members of the workforce that their efforts are valued and appreciated by their superiors.
- The appreciation emails help in enhancing the job satisfaction levels of the employees and reduce their chances of quitting the organization. These emails act as reminders for the employees about their significant contribution towards organizational growth and success.
- The most important benefit of employee recognition citation is that it keeps the employees motivated and encouraged to perform better. These emails reflect the fact that their employers are happy with them and it motivates them to push up their performance even more.
Challenges of writing a good appreciation email
Most organizations focus their efforts on finding creative employee recognition ideas while ignoring the importance of writing good appreciation notes to accompany the rewards. This is mainly due to the fact that writing such letters requires specific skills and a good hold over language. However, not all managers might possess these key skills and hence might not be capable of compiling a good citation. In addition, the managers might feel confused about which points to highlight and which to omit while compiling an email of appreciation, especially in the case of employees receiving staff awards for multiple reasons.
Tips for writing citations
Writing a good email of appreciation to accompany the rewards for employees to motivate and inspire them requires some effort on the part of the managers. While it is not important for the managers to write these emails in an elaborate manner, they, however, need to make sure that they cover specific points to get the desired results. Given below are some useful tips that can it easier for managers to write authentic, memorable and impactful messages of appreciation for their employees to accompany both cash and non-financial rewards.
- Clearly specify the reason: The reason for which the employees are being rewarded and recognized should be specified clearly and precisely, preferably in the first paragraph of the email/ letter.
- Highlight the results of their efforts: In addition to specifying the reason for recognition, the managers also need to cite the benefits attained by the organization that made the employee worthy of recognition.
- Use the right language and tone: The managers should use the language that is relevant according to the type of employee recognition being conferred on the selected individuals so that it makes them feel valued.
- Try to keep it personal: It is important for the managers to frame each email of appreciation to make it unique and personal for every employee.
- Use the name of the employee multiple times: It is a good practice for the managers to focus on using the name of the employee in the email as many times as they can.
- Narrate a story: Managers may also try relating the specific reward with other employee recognition examples of the employee and weaving a success story for them.
- Don’t forget to say thanks: The most important aspect of writing a great email of appreciation is to include a line thanking the employees for their hard work and achievements.
Getting rewarded ad recognized by their superiors for their good work and performance can boost the morale of employees in a big way. However, when these rewards are accompanied by a well-worded email or letter of appreciation, it ensures an even greater sense of happiness and satisfaction.