Employee appreciation and recognition help to create an engaged and dedicated workforce, which in turn contributes to business growth. To get the best results in the form of enhanced employee motivation and performance, it is important for organizations to learn and use the right language of recognition. This essentially means employing the right words and phrases to appreciate employees and express gratitude for their efforts and achievements. In fact, the appropriate choice of words for employee appreciation messages is almost as important as choosing the right method of recognition or even the best way of presenting it to the deserving employees.
Need for appreciation messages
Most employees are in search of stable and fulfilling jobs where they can contribute towards organizational success in a positive manner. Thanking the employees using rightly worded appreciation messages can help to improve their sense of job satisfaction and self-worth. Showing gratitude to the employees helps in keeping the employees really motivated and happy. When they feel valued for their work and contribution, the employees are likely to give their best to ensure the fulfillment of organizational goals. These small tokens of appreciation help in strengthening the trust played by the employees in the organization and motivate them to play a constructive role in business success and growth.
Various scenarios for appreciation messages with examples
- When it comes to writing appreciation messages, the managers and supervisors often find themselves at a loss of words. The fact that they are unable to differentiate various scenarios in which such messages would prove most effective further complicates things for them. Correct messaging is absolutely necessary for appreciating the employees and motivate them to the maximum. A few such common situations are given below along with examples of messages relevant to each:
- Appreciating an employee for a job well done
There are times when an employee might perform beyond the expectations of his or her peers and superiors. Appreciating the effort and hard work of the employee at such times is essential to make him or her feel valued. The best examples of appreciation messages for such situations are as follows:
- The task was a tough one, yet you were able to nail it with excellent results. Thank you.
- You have performed exceptionally well in this project. Thank you for doing a great job.
- Wonderful job in completing this job despite all the odds
- Appreciating a consistently hard-working employee
Every organization has employees who put in their best efforts every time. For such employees working hard is a part of their personality and while they might not expect to be appreciated for the same, doing so can really boost their morale. An appreciation message from their superior is likely to prove more effective than any employee reward. A few good examples of appreciation message for such employees are as follows:
- We are very happy to have an employee like you who performs well every single day of the year. Thank you.
- Employees like you make the organization what it is today. Thank you for bringing your best to work every single day.
- Appreciating an employee with a great sales performance
The sales can be an extremely tough and challenging job; employees demonstrating top performance in sales definitely deserve a great appreciation message. It can go a long way in ensuring that they perform continuously and drive business growth. Given below are a couple of the best appreciation messages for outstanding sales performers:
- Your top-notch performance helped push up our company revenues to greater heights. Thank you.
- Your contribution to driving business growth by winning critical deals is commendable. Thank you and well done.
- Appreciating an employee who offers unconditional help and support
Some employees are constantly there to provide help and support to their peers and juniors even without being asked. They might even show a willingness to take on extra work and responsibilities to ensure the timely achievement of business goals. Sending them well-worded appreciation messages as apart of employee recognition is of great importance as they contribute significantly to building a positive company culture:
- I really appreciate the initiative you show. You always help and support your colleagues. You are a valued employee for the organization and a role model for others.
- Thank you for your help and support. You are really an asset to the team and the organization.
The above examples can help provide a general direction for managers and supervisors to write truly motivating employee appreciation messages; which will encourage the recipients to keep performing at a high level and drive business growth.
Organizations today understand the importance of rewarding and recognizing the efforts and achievements of their employees in a proper and timely manner. Hence it is not surprising that they consider the time, money and effort spent in setting up such recognition programs truly worthwhile. While the employee recognition ideas followed within each organization may differ significantly, they all share the common objective of enhancing workforce motivation and engagement levels. In this context, the appreciation mails and thank you notes provided to the employees as a part of the overall recognition or reward are of great significance. Hence these mails and notes need to be composed with utmost care and consideration.
Importance of good appreciation emails
It is the responsibility of the employers to ensure that their employees feel happy and satisfied with the current work environment. One effective way of ensuring the same is by appreciating their smallest efforts, achievements, and behaviors that may affect organizational growth. A well-written email of appreciation featuring relevant employee recognition quotes can prove extremely effective in this respect. Such emails ensure the following benefits for employers in terms of employee engagement and motivation:
- They help in building a strong relationship between the employers and their managers and supervisors. A hand-written letter appreciating the service and achievement of the employees can go a long way in fostering a positive bond between the two.
- The emails/letters help in enhancing the sense of belonging and loyalty for the organization among the employees. An employee recognition mail, containing a note of thanks, assures the members of the workforce that their efforts are valued and appreciated by their superiors.
- The appreciation emails help in enhancing the job satisfaction levels of the employees and reduce their chances of quitting the organization. These emails act as reminders for the employees about their significant contribution towards organizational growth and success.
- The most important benefit of employee recognition citation is that it keeps the employees motivated and encouraged to perform better. These emails reflect the fact that their employers are happy with them and it motivates them to push up their performance even more.
Challenges of writing a good appreciation email
Most organizations focus their efforts on finding creative employee recognition ideas while ignoring the importance of writing good appreciation notes to accompany the rewards. This is mainly due to the fact that writing such letters requires specific skills and a good hold over language. However, not all managers might possess these key skills and hence might not be capable of compiling a good citation. In addition, the managers might feel confused about which points to highlight and which to omit while compiling an email of appreciation, especially in the case of employees receiving staff awards for multiple reasons.
Tips for writing citations
Writing a good email of appreciation to accompany the rewards for employees to motivate and inspire them requires some effort on the part of the managers. While it is not important for the managers to write these emails in an elaborate manner, they, however, need to make sure that they cover specific points to get the desired results. Given below are some useful tips that can it easier for managers to write authentic, memorable and impactful messages of appreciation for their employees to accompany both cash and non-financial rewards.
- Clearly specify the reason: The reason for which the employees are being rewarded and recognized should be specified clearly and precisely, preferably in the first paragraph of the email/ letter.
- Highlight the results of their efforts: In addition to specifying the reason for recognition, the managers also need to cite the benefits attained by the organization that made the employee worthy of recognition.
- Use the right language and tone: The managers should use the language that is relevant according to the type of employee recognition being conferred on the selected individuals so that it makes them feel valued.
- Try to keep it personal: It is important for the managers to frame each email of appreciation to make it unique and personal for every employee.
- Use the name of the employee multiple times: It is a good practice for the managers to focus on using the name of the employee in the email as many times as they can.
- Narrate a story: Managers may also try relating the specific reward with other employee recognition examples of the employee and weaving a success story for them.
- Don’t forget to say thanks: The most important aspect of writing a great email of appreciation is to include a line thanking the employees for their hard work and achievements.
Getting rewarded ad recognized by their superiors for their good work and performance can boost the morale of employees in a big way. However, when these rewards are accompanied by a well-worded email or letter of appreciation, it ensures even great sense of happiness and satisfaction.